Tuesday, June 5, 2012

all hail the michelada

Welcome to my current obsession - the Michelada. It's essentially a Mexican Bloody Mary - with beer subbed for vodka. They're on the menu at most of the Mexican restaurants in LA, often for happy hour, but I always passed them by in favor of margaritas. Well, NO MORE. I love a good bloody, but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to go back - the carbonation of a good, cheap lager with the tomato juice is weirdly refreshing. Scott and I had the professional version on the patio at Chavo the other night, and of course went home and crafted our own concoction, which you can try if you so desire.

you'll need...
tabasco
tomato or clamato juice (or, if you're a dork like me, you can use V-8 for a slightly more vegetably taste and pretend to be healthy)
Worcestershire sauce (soy sauce works too)
salt
chili salt 
1 lemon
1 beer (Tecate is my personal preference)
ice
Chili-salt the rim of a pint glass, then fill with ice. Squeeze in all the juice from the lemon - if you're cheating with prepped lemon juice, use about 1/4 cup. Shake in as much Tabasco as you can stand. Add a shake of salt, and a couple of glugs of Worcestershire sauce (about a tablespoon). Top off with 1/2 cup of the tomato based juice of your choice. Stir it up real good, then add beer - you'll have some of the can left, which you can add as you drink it down. Enjoy on a patio with friends and guacamole, naturally.

1 comment: